Shay & Associates Blog
Every week we see headlines about nursing home abuse and neglect throughout the nation. Some of us have personal stories of how family members were neglected or injured in a nursing home. A recent case was documented in an article about three Central Illinois nursing homes cited with violations and fined $25,000.00 each by the State of Illinois.
The article states that at least one resident in each facility required hospitalization as a result of preventable injuries or illnesses. These violations were classified by the state as Type A violations, which are the second most serious category of violation, one resulting in serious harm or death.
Type A injuries often result from falls, infections, or lack of timely medical care. When a serious injury like this happens to your loved ones, it is important to take the following steps:
- If immediate emergency services are required, call 911
- Document all evidence of the abuse or injury with photos, written notes, or witness accounts
- Advise the director of the nursing home in writing of the incident and your concerns
- File a complaint about the nursing home with the local health department and/or the Illinois Department of Professional and Financial Regulation
- If you feel it necessary, move your loved one to another location
- Don’t hesitate to contact an attorney to discuss the situation
If nursing home neglect or abuse results in serious injury, hospitalization, or death to a family member, please contact an attorney who specializes in nursing home neglect or personal injury claims. At Shay & Associates Law Firm we provide you with an expert and compassionate team to assist your family when the need arises.